As you can imagine the COVID-19 pandemic presented serious challenges for all of our network camps in 2020. But it reaffirms our belief about what’s important: family, friends, health, and the support of our community for those most in need. Amidst this continuing challenge, Camps for Kids remains committed, more than ever, to our mission: to see that every Kansas City area special needs and underprivileged child can experience the joy and discovery of summer camp.
Most of our 22 network camps proceeded with their summer camps either in person and/or virtual in 2020, continuing to make the unique experience of summer camp available to the special needs and underprivileged communities that we have served since 1981. Camp directors and staff worked to adapt to the new realities and meet the needs of the 3,500 children they serve. No surprise here: for many this involved delayed start dates and new logistical issues for volunteers and medical staff.
- Two camps proceeded with in-person camps with safety precautions: Camp Whatsoever and Camp Mattie Rhodes.
- Three camps proceeded with modified in-person camps and outings and virtual camps: Camp Encourage, Camp Heartland Therapeutic, and Camp Systole.
- Thirteen camps held virtual camps and provided additional support to families this summer: Camp Alvin Ailey, CampFire, Camp Hope, Camp Quality, Camp Shakespeare, Camp Carousel & Erin. Camp Wildwood, Camp Chimer, Camp WIN, Camp Milton, Camp Wonderland Camp MITIOG, and Camp Allphapointe. The camps provided numerous supports to keep children engaged including: tablets, wifi-hot spots, meals, staff prepared videos, Zoom meetings, hand written notes, encouragement signs in campers yards, camp t-shirts, weekly “camp in a box” activity materials, small group outings through the fall, and safety supplies including disinfectant wipes, disinfectant sprays, antibacterial hand sanitizer, masks, etc.
- Three camps cancelled: Camp Joshua, Camp Shriver, and.
As a result, the need for your continued funding and support is greater than ever.
Ways you can help:
- Use the AmazonSmile website to place orders. When you shop on AmazonSmile the AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of the purchase price of eligible products to the charitable organization of your choice. You can find us listed as Camps For Kids (location Mission, KS) @ https://smile.amazon.com/ch/43-1244326
- Participate in our events: https://campsforkids.org/event/
- Donate online @ https://campsforkids.org/donations/
For updates on Camps for Kids, our network camps, and changes in the status of any ongoing Camps For Kids’ events, visit our website at https://campsforkids.org/ or feel free to reach out to our Executive Director, Regina Weir, at (816) 839-6494.
Thank you for your continued support for Camps For Kids. With your help, we can ensure that the special needs children of our community continue to enjoy the wonders of summer camp in 2021.
Be safe and well,
Camps For Kids