Camps Carousel & Erin
Camps Carousel and Erin are weekend grief support camps for children. Camp Carousel – ages 5 to 18. Camp Erin – ages 6 to 17.
Camp Erin 2018 will be held at Heartland Center 16965 NW 45 Hwy, Parkville, MO , Friday afternoon June 8 until Sunday afternoon June 10. It is a weekend, overnight camp for 45-50 children and teens who have experienced the death of someone close to them. Camp Erin is a traditional, fun, high-energy camp combined with grief education and emotional support. It offers campers the opportunity to meet others who have experienced a loss.
Camp Carousel 2018 will be held at Heartland Presbyterian Center in Parkville, MO, September 14 through Sunday afternoon, September 16. Camp Carousel serves 20-25 children between the ages of 5 and 18, and includes their parents or guardians, providing families the opportunity to spend therapeutic time together in a nurturing setting and to meet other families who have experienced a loss. Children meet in age-appropriate groups while adults attend a parenting workshop addressing topics such as awareness of their own feelings about the family’s loss, dependency issues of children, acting out behaviors, and how to be truthful with children in an age-appropriate way.
Children are referred to camp in a variety of ways — by school counselors, teachers, churches, psychotherapists in private practice, family physicians, or, families may enroll directly. Bereavement counselors from Kansas City Hospice and its grief support program, Solace House, guide the camp activities. Other staff members consist of music and art therapists and community volunteers.
Camp goals for both camps are to help:
- Normalize the grief experience
- Provide opportunities to memorialize a loved one
- Provide opportunities for emotional release in a safe way
- Provide opportunities for children to meet others who have experienced a loss
Children are split into groups based on their ages. Two professional staff members and three to five volunteers are assigned to each group to assist with activities. While activities may vary slightly from year to year, they are basically the same. The children:
- Participate in the Art Studio that offers a variety of art therapy projects
- Enjoy some typical camp activities such as archery, horseback riding or swimming.
- Take a nature hike to provide time in nature to process thoughts and feelings
- Share in a remembering ritual and release balloons
- Benefit from the company of therapy dogs
- Write group songs. Each child contributes lines about the person in his or her life who has died
- Enjoy a campfire evening, with all ages sharing the activity together
|Camp Wish List:|
|25 Campground Fees @$137.50||$3,500|
|25 Supplies @$20||$500|
|25 T-shirts @5||$125|
|5 Photos for each child/family @ $6||$150|
|25 Snacks & Campfire @$20||$500|
|15 Staff costs @ $322 each||$4,830|
|50 Campground Fees @ $104.00||$7,000|
|50 supplies @$20||$1,000|
|50 T-shirts @ $5||$250|
|50 photos – one for each child & Family @ $6||$300|
|15 Staff costs for weekend @ $322 each||$4,380|
Make a Donation
In order to be eligible to be matched, gifts must be charitable donations made to Camps For Kids and must be received by Camps For Kids between April 1st and July 31st. Single contributions are only matched up to $1,500.
1500 Meadow Lake Pky.
Kansas City, MO 64114